Skip to main content

The Things I Never Thought I'd Say or Do...

After we became parents a few years ago, my husband and I started noticing was the number of weird sentences we never thought we'd say. As my daughter has grown, so has our list of awkward phrases:

"We don't eat applesauce with hands."

"Please don't put the doggie's tail in your mouth!"

"The refrigerator magnets won't work on the wall, kiddo..."

The more I started noting these sentences, the more I realized "never thought I'd say" teacher list is actually longer (and equally awkward)...

"Put your pants on!"- said to MB kids running around in shorts before changing into uniforms

"Please don't use the chair carts as go-karts."

"Why do you have a rotten pumpkin in your locker?" - painted pumpkin gone missing in Oct, found in June

The more we live with our kids (and students), the more likely it is we are going to say things we never thought we'd have to say and do things we'd never thought we'd do. But all too often, it is precisely those quirky things that further entwine our lives and builds healthy relationships. Teaching, coaching, and leading, much like parenting, is all about connection. The more we live together, the more opportunity we have enrich those connections. Nurture and care for one another. Grow.





It's no wonder that when one of those connections you've taken the time to nurture becomes broken, it can really, REALLY hurt. The more tightly we are intertwined, the harder it is for us to bear when the connection is severed. The things you never thought you'd do or say take on a whole new meaning.



I never thought I would receive that phone call. I never thought I would attend a former student's funeral.  I never thought I would have to share my condolences with their family. But I did. And it shook me to my core.

There is so little that can be done in the wake of a tragic loss. But in my efforts to find something to do, I have found some comfort and strength through fostering the connections that are still in my life: I've been hugging my kiddo and husband a little longer and tighter. I've been making a point of sharing with my students the value of both their work and their existence, not assuming that they already know. I've been redoubling my efforts for students to know the band room is a safe place. And I've been working to reach out to other teachers effected by the loss in the same way our school community has reached out to me.

Of all the things I never thought I would say or do, I never want connecting with kids to be on that list- no matter how difficult it may be when those connections are lost.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student-Led Rehearsals Day 1: Identifying Potential Problems

Today I introduced the task at hand: Each class will be selecting, as a group, one piece to perform for our Winter Concert-- without my direction. The Goal: To perform this piece to the best of our ability; to make it "YouTube"/Social Media worthy, something that everyone at the end of the experience would be proud to share with their friends and social circle. Surprisingly, it did not scare them as much as it does me. But, I did see my fair share of skeptical eye rolls. The first step towards our goal was to identify possible problems/roadblocks in accomplishing our goal. Each class was asked to create a list on the board of potential challenges we may face before we begin. It was very interesting to observe the dynamic of each class as they navigated even this first step, communicating with one another to complete their list. Sometimes, they chose to continue the "teacher/student" paradigm where one person wrote on the board and called out to others with their

Innovator's Mindset in the Band Room: Student-Led Rehearsals

It all started when this happened... George Couros came to Rochester Community Schools yesterday, inspiring hundreds of teachers in his wake. If you are not familiar with George Couros (@gcouros), he is the author of the widely recognized, highly regarded educational manifesto entitled "The Innovator's Mindset" as well regularly writing on his blog, The Principle of Change . There are many aspects of the "Innovator's Mindset" that I find appealing. We agree on many, many points: the power of positive connections, cultivating passion, and the need for teachers to give students space and voice to take charge of their learning. This tweet though, sums it up for me: When you have a compelling reason, you can learn ANYTHING. #RCSInnovate — Kristine Balinski (@MathTeacherMrsB) November 5, 2018 If students have a compelling reason to connect, they will put in the work. Teachers are the resource, students direct their own learning. As educators, espec

Open Letter to My Students

Dear Students, This is certainly not how I imagined the culmination of our face-to-face school year. The last time I saw you, I never imagined it would be for the last time. The selfish truth is that I'm still not ready for it to be the end. I thought we would have so much more ahead of us... Time to use all the tools we've sharpened over the course of the year to put together some incredible performances. Time to get out on the stage and leave it all out there for audiences to enjoy. Time to create, time to play, time to laugh, time to grow, time to cry, time to celebrate, time to say "good bye".  The irony of it all is although we supposedly have "all the time in the world", that time won't look like anything we imagined. This isn't what anyone imagined or anticipated. Not for you, not for ourselves, not for our world. But the good news is this isn't the end . Buildings might be closed, face-to-face instruction may not be possible, but the