Skip to main content

Student Led Rehearsals: My Lessons Learned

So what have I learned from all this? How will this effect me and my teaching? Probably more than I can begin to summarize here, but I'll take a shot with some of the main changes I've observed and acted upon since we began our Student-Led Rehearsal experience...

Do you hear what I hear?
Observing our student-led rehearsals has helped highlight for me some of the things I would like to emphasize more moving forward; Listening, especially. When students have something they are listening for, they are rehearsing at their best. We just need to work together so students always know what exactly it is they are listening for. And listening for the full package, not just "dynamics" or "rhythm" or any other singular musical concept. After all, if we don't like what we hear, then why are we doing it? This isn't "band hero". It shouldn't be about "making it right", it should be about making something beautiful. It isn't enough to push the right buttons at the right time. We have to help our students connect with what they are creating.  Some groups will need more guidance than others-- some students may need to drive the Ford Focus before they drive the Maserati-- but providing that guidance and coaching their ears to hear those details so they can better shape their music is at the heart of our craft.

We can choose to let our mistakes grow us or define us.
As much as the kids have struggled at times, I've also had my fair share of struggles with our experience. It's not always been easy stepping off the podium. Letting go of the rehearsals has proven to be quite the "trust fall"; scary, but huge for nurturing the trust we need for truly effective music making.

One of the biggest blunders of mine happened right before our concert: the day before we performed, I opened the floor for students to call out sections/excerpts they would like to rehash, review, and polish before performing. So when I asked one ensemble if they wanted to work on their student led piece at all and they said no, I lost it and laid the shame on thick. "I can't believe I'm hearing this...I'm so disappointed you don't think it would be valuable to touch this piece at all today, when we perform it tomorrow."

I felt terrible the moment the words left my mouth. Even if I didn't agree with the decision they reached as a group, the way I chose to voice my disagreement was filled with all the things that tear down a team rather than bring them up. Here I am, preaching the need for trust and respect across the board, and then at one of the most vulnerable times right before a performance when I ask them for their thoughts and priorities, my words spread disdain and judgement. Hypocrisy is one of my biggest pet peeves, and here I am, playing the hypocrite. Ugh. It was definitely a human moment, a big mistake. A teachable moment for them became a teachable moment for me.

Can you hear me now?
I've re-learned how effective it can be to just have individuals and small groups play out/together; not only for the rest of the ensemble to hear the other parts, but so that those playing can better hear issues with notes, style, tone, etc and fix them without me even needing to say a word.  Calling students to play out of context is not and should not be a punishment "because something is wrong"... rather, Sometimes we just need to create the environment for them to better hear themselves so they can make the fixes on their own.  There is independent musicianship in that experience too, if we invite students to play individually, in sections, etc. so that they can hear as well as be heard. (This is a goal for the next time we do student led rehearsals, is to help students become comfortable enough to ask others to play their parts for one another.)

Sharpen the Lens
Stepping off the podium has given me more time to process; where exactly students are at, what they are understanding, where they could use more support, brainstorming ideas to help them in the moment, as well as the space to listen to them more intently without a score or baton in the way. It helps me to step back and better assess and individualize for everyone within the large ensemble context. As a result, I've become more organized in my own lesson planning with specific goals, limiting the amount of time we spend on certain pieces so we can continue to make as much progress on all our pieces as possible, etc. The clearer my mental picture is, the better we communicate as a team and the more productive we can anticipate being with our time.

The Bottom Line
For something that was such a big risk, there was also certainly a big pay off. I won't pretend that every experience in our Student-Led Rehearsals was pretty, but there was an enormous amount of learning that happened across the board. There is so much to be gained from giving students the opportunity to shape their educational experiences. I can't wait to both take the lessons I've learned and use them as well as to hear where my students take their music from this point forward. The heightened levels of awareness alone have paved the way for all of us to make even more sensitive, nuanced, impactful music. We have our work cut out for us, but we have sharper goals, more defined direction, and renewed purpose.

There's going to be a lot of great music coming out of the Cougar Band Room in the new year- and I can't wait to be a part of and listen to all of it.

Comments

  1. This is awesome! I have really enjoyed reading about this process. I'm excited to hear more about it as the year progresses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innovator's Mindset in the Band Room: Student-Led Rehearsals

It all started when this happened... George Couros came to Rochester Community Schools yesterday, inspiring hundreds of teachers in his wake. If you are not familiar with George Couros (@gcouros), he is the author of the widely recognized, highly regarded educational manifesto entitled "The Innovator's Mindset" as well regularly writing on his blog, The Principle of Change . There are many aspects of the "Innovator's Mindset" that I find appealing. We agree on many, many points: the power of positive connections, cultivating passion, and the need for teachers to give students space and voice to take charge of their learning. This tweet though, sums it up for me: When you have a compelling reason, you can learn ANYTHING. #RCSInnovate — Kristine Balinski (@MathTeacherMrsB) November 5, 2018 If students have a compelling reason to connect, they will put in the work. Teachers are the resource, students direct their own learning. As educators, espec

Open Letter to My Students

Dear Students, This is certainly not how I imagined the culmination of our face-to-face school year. The last time I saw you, I never imagined it would be for the last time. The selfish truth is that I'm still not ready for it to be the end. I thought we would have so much more ahead of us... Time to use all the tools we've sharpened over the course of the year to put together some incredible performances. Time to get out on the stage and leave it all out there for audiences to enjoy. Time to create, time to play, time to laugh, time to grow, time to cry, time to celebrate, time to say "good bye".  The irony of it all is although we supposedly have "all the time in the world", that time won't look like anything we imagined. This isn't what anyone imagined or anticipated. Not for you, not for ourselves, not for our world. But the good news is this isn't the end . Buildings might be closed, face-to-face instruction may not be possible, but the

Student-Led Rehearsals Day 1: Identifying Potential Problems

Today I introduced the task at hand: Each class will be selecting, as a group, one piece to perform for our Winter Concert-- without my direction. The Goal: To perform this piece to the best of our ability; to make it "YouTube"/Social Media worthy, something that everyone at the end of the experience would be proud to share with their friends and social circle. Surprisingly, it did not scare them as much as it does me. But, I did see my fair share of skeptical eye rolls. The first step towards our goal was to identify possible problems/roadblocks in accomplishing our goal. Each class was asked to create a list on the board of potential challenges we may face before we begin. It was very interesting to observe the dynamic of each class as they navigated even this first step, communicating with one another to complete their list. Sometimes, they chose to continue the "teacher/student" paradigm where one person wrote on the board and called out to others with their