Skip to main content

New (School) Year Resolutions: 2019-2020

It's been 30 years of "First Day of School"s for me, and from pre-school to grad school to stepping to the front of my own classroom, each one has looked a little different. This year's is no exception: For the first time, my own "first day of school" will be delayed while I'm on maternity leave with my newborn baby girl!

Tesa, meet the world; World, say hello to Tesa! 

Although I may not have my lunch pre-made or my clothes laid out this year, the truth is I'm still caught up in the excitement that is the night before the first day back.  (I even busted out my new MI Teacher shirt I got over the summer and saved just for this occasion!) Scrolling through my social media feeds, seeing my colleagues anticipatory posts has me even more excited for everyone to head back-- and inspired me to create my list of New (School) Year Resolutions:

Student Efficacy & Leadership
It's no secret that developing student efficacy and leadership is a big priority for my teaching. Before I left on maternity leave, the students and I had some enlightening discussion and made great progress on our goals, including taking some new actions for the coming year:
  • Section of the Year (MB): Since our high school's dedication, the "Spirit Stick" has been a manifestation of the great characteristics we value, but has only been given out during our week at camp. One of the goals we decided on for the coming season in the marching band was to find ways to keep the positivism and productivity from band camp going beyond camp. We wanted a way to reward and celebrate those positive characteristics throughout the season; thus, the Section of the Year award was born. Adult staff and section leaders are able to vote throughout the season for sections (not their own) that embody encouragement, endurance, positivism, focus, and more. 
  • Member and Leadership Handbooks (MB): The transition into HS Band can be very overwhelming. It was determined that handbooks that explain the expectations for both members and those looking to participate in student leadership would be helpful. The students and I worked together to draft these handbooks and distribute them at the end of last year.
  • Music Checks (MB): Another student observation brought to the table was that there were some within their sections that were not always playing/participating to their fullest. Whether those students were not feeling capable or were simply choosing to not participate, students wanted to find more ways to help encourage each other to participate more so everyone would feel greater ownership in their music making. It was decided that we would do low-pressure Music Checks on occasion throughout the season as a means of identifying those who might need more help and encouragement. 
As I look ahead to the coming school year, I'm very excited to see how these ideas impact the marching season- and the school year as a whole! 

Student Led Rehearsals 2.0

After attempting Student Led Rehearsals last year, I am excited at taking what we've learned from the experience and re-vamping the experience upon my return to the podium! 





On a personal note...
Along with goals for the classroom, I have a number of personal goals to help improve my own experience and become the best teacher/mom/human I can be...

Be a bigger source of encouragement.



I want to reach out even further to encourage more students and colleagues this year. The world is a tough place, but it costs absolutely nothing to reach out and say nice things to the people around us! There is great power when we dare to connect with others, and I want to share that positivism and power to foster even more connections. 

Be more present.
I am my best, most relaxed teacher/Mom when I'm able to live in the moment. But if you're anything like me, it becomes more and more difficult to be myself in the moment when I'm trying to live in fifty other future or past moments. The deeper into the school year we get, the more the responsibilities pile up, the easier it becomes to get distracted away from the here and now as the brain keeps processing and problem solving... it's a vicious cycle. (And one heck of a run-on sentence!) 

To work on being present, I've got a few ideas up my sleeve...Ironically enough, I'm hoping to use my phone to help with this: The Screen Time setting on my iPhone to help monitor my usage, and The Calm app to help with meditation and awareness. Fortunately, the Calm app recently started The Calm School Initiative, giving free subscriptions to educators! (I'm hoping to try and use some of what I learn in the classroom as well!) For more information on the Calm School Initiative, check this out!

Balance (family, school, self-care)
No fancy buzz words. No celebrity endorsements. No frills. Just plain, old-fashioned truth: If I'm going to keep on top of my game, I need to be aware of how I use my time and mindful of choosing activities that maintain balance-- especially with another little one at home. That means prioritizing and making time for those priorities in my classroom, in my home, and for myself. First steps? I made a list of "time investing" activities that provide a "pay back" towards my priorities. Things like: score study, listening to music, books to read, favorite activities & outings to do with the family, house projects, exercising, practicing my own instruments, drawing/coloring, writing... Any activities that will help enrich my life in the little downtime I get and prevent me from falling into the black hole that is alternating between the same few apps on my phone... 😑 What are some of your "investing" activities? Books? Albums? Composers?

I may not be there in person to kick off this school year, but I'm definitely excited for all the potential this year holds for my students, my family, and myself! It's going to be a very good year, Mr. Chairman! 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an adorable newborn that requires cuddling ASAP...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innovator's Mindset in the Band Room: Student-Led Rehearsals

It all started when this happened... George Couros came to Rochester Community Schools yesterday, inspiring hundreds of teachers in his wake. If you are not familiar with George Couros (@gcouros), he is the author of the widely recognized, highly regarded educational manifesto entitled "The Innovator's Mindset" as well regularly writing on his blog, The Principle of Change . There are many aspects of the "Innovator's Mindset" that I find appealing. We agree on many, many points: the power of positive connections, cultivating passion, and the need for teachers to give students space and voice to take charge of their learning. This tweet though, sums it up for me: When you have a compelling reason, you can learn ANYTHING. #RCSInnovate — Kristine Balinski (@MathTeacherMrsB) November 5, 2018 If students have a compelling reason to connect, they will put in the work. Teachers are the resource, students direct their own learning. As educators, espec

Student-Led Rehearsals Day 1: Identifying Potential Problems

Today I introduced the task at hand: Each class will be selecting, as a group, one piece to perform for our Winter Concert-- without my direction. The Goal: To perform this piece to the best of our ability; to make it "YouTube"/Social Media worthy, something that everyone at the end of the experience would be proud to share with their friends and social circle. Surprisingly, it did not scare them as much as it does me. But, I did see my fair share of skeptical eye rolls. The first step towards our goal was to identify possible problems/roadblocks in accomplishing our goal. Each class was asked to create a list on the board of potential challenges we may face before we begin. It was very interesting to observe the dynamic of each class as they navigated even this first step, communicating with one another to complete their list. Sometimes, they chose to continue the "teacher/student" paradigm where one person wrote on the board and called out to others with their

Open Letter to My Students

Dear Students, This is certainly not how I imagined the culmination of our face-to-face school year. The last time I saw you, I never imagined it would be for the last time. The selfish truth is that I'm still not ready for it to be the end. I thought we would have so much more ahead of us... Time to use all the tools we've sharpened over the course of the year to put together some incredible performances. Time to get out on the stage and leave it all out there for audiences to enjoy. Time to create, time to play, time to laugh, time to grow, time to cry, time to celebrate, time to say "good bye".  The irony of it all is although we supposedly have "all the time in the world", that time won't look like anything we imagined. This isn't what anyone imagined or anticipated. Not for you, not for ourselves, not for our world. But the good news is this isn't the end . Buildings might be closed, face-to-face instruction may not be possible, but the